Ten of the Best: Be a dancing queen vintage style!
1. First things first. A dancing queen needs her dancing shoes! These vintage dance shoes still in their box are just gorgeous and would make any girls feel like getting her dance card marked!
2. To go with those shoes you’ll of course need a glitzy vintage bag. For Strictly style the glitzier the better so this beaded and sequined evening bag ticks all the boxes.
3. Music for dancing can come in various forms but we love a record player. There been some great vintage inspired ones come out lately and this Steepletone portable one (with USB connector tech lovers!) complete with built in speakers and AM/FM radio is fabulous!
4. Fred Astaire may of been the most famous dance star of the golden age of musicals but for me Gene Kelly was perfection. Handsome, sexy, funny and an absolute perfectionist. A framed print of him just sums this up and would look great in any home.
5. If you want to get really serious, dance classes are available locally pretty much wherever you live and are a great way to get out, keep fit, have fun and meet people. These London based ones from dancebuzz.co.uk look like they could be a lot of fun. Who knows a Gene Kelly lookalike might well be teaching it…
6. There’s nothing like swooshing a layered net petticoat to make you feel like dancing and they look so pretty too. Look for contrasting colours and finishes to give a simple dress that WOW factor. For a Rockabilly look eBay sells lots of vintage inspired net petticoats but for original pieces Dream date sells original bed jackets, babydolls and slips that’s are just so pretty.
7. There nothing better to watch than a great dance movie, whether it be Singing in the Rain, Dirty Dancing or Chicago. But the film that’s started the whole resurgence of ballroom is this hidden gem – Baz Luhrmann’s Strictly Ballroom. Romantic and funny with great dancing too –
8. It makes complete sense if you’re committed to your dancing to wear a badge to prove it! This fun little ‘Dancing Queen’ badge would be great on a girls night out or as a gift to a friend who loves Strictly!
9. If you’ve got the record player, you need the record – ABBA’s Dancing Queen is THE single you need!!! And its cover is retro fabulous too – I wish I could rock a white Trilby so well!
10. And finally, once its all over what to do? For a really fun night out instead of in book tickets to the official tour. Its a chance to dress up using all those fabulous vintage pieces you’ve been buying and have fun. Come on you know you want to…