Behind The Brand: What You Should Know About Joop!

Today starts a series of posts about brands that have stood the test of time. JOOP! is a German fashion house that was founded in 1978. For decades, this German luxury brand has drawn attention for the right reasons, with its upscale casual wear, lovely scent collection, and high-end cosmetics. The first fragrance was launched in the mid-nineties, and since then it has been adored by families all around the world.


The Founder: Wolfgang Joop

Wolfgang Joop was born on November 18, 1944. His father, Karl-Friedrich, was the former editor of the German cultural magazine. Joop married and had two children, but his career began in 1970 when he appeared for a German women’s magazine called Constanze. His career began to take off when he became the creative director of a fashion house. After that, he began freelancing writing and design work. Joop’s initial collection received international acclaim, which prompted him to give lectures at the University of Arts in Berlin for Fashion Design.


Embed from Getty Images


Launching Joop!

In the late 1980s, he launched his Hamburg-based company. The brand offered a number of men, woman’s, and children’s collections. Because of his skills as an artist, Joop added an exclamation point at the end of the name so that the brand could be easily distinguished. Joop! Jeans, launched in 1988, was the first fragrance to be created by the company. In 1988, Joop! Jeans became available. The brand’s distinctive scent range, which debuted in 1987, was followed by Joop! Denim in 1988. In New York Fashion Week in the 1990s, ‘Joop!’


In 1998, Wolfgang and his estranged business partner sold 95 percent of their shares to an investor while he remained the brand’s creative director. In 2005, the remaining 5% was sold, and he departed the firm. Wunsche AG of Hamberg, the makers of Joop! Unfortunately, they had their own money problems and were unable to create a worldwide luxury fashion brand as planned. In 2001, they declared bankruptcy. The scent and cosmetics licenses were transferred to Coty at that point. Egana Goldpfeil now owns Joops fashion and accessory company, after she took over the Jeans line was discontinued. Joop! is a mid-range contemporary brand that is still well-known for its fragrances.

Embed from Getty Images


Top 3 Must-try Fragrances


The finest of parfum joop each have their own distinct feature. Here are our recommended top three:


1) Joop! Homme Eau de Toilette

Joop! Homme is an undeniably masculine scent with a sugary and spicy personality. Michel Almairac created the 90s style fragrance in 1989. Heliotrope is a powdery/almond floral note that blends in with the cinnamon after which blooms into a heart of sweet cinnamon and the powdery/almond floral note of heliotrope. Sweet jasmine appears, dusted with cardamom, as well.



2) Joop! Homme Eau de Parfum

Joop! Homme Eau de Parfum is a crowd-pleaser with a blend of spice and wood that fades into a smooth vanilla base. The opening notes of hazelnut and cinnamon are tempered by a bracing blast of bergamot. The heart of this fragrance is bright orange blossom with heliotrope, cardamom, and fir needles.


3) Joop! Jump Eau de Toilette

Hello, welcome to Joop! Jump Eau de Toilette is a fun and cheeky vanilla smell for the shower. Perfumer Sophie Labbe launched the easygoing masculine fresh scent in 2005. The scent of this candle begins with a burst of tart grapefruit followed by rosemary and the caraway-like star anise aroma. The heart of heliotrope transforms from a powdery marzipan bloom into full bloom, projecting its delicate powdery floral presence.


Find out more about brands we love here.


I love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Looking for Something?