It is that time of year again – the hot weather is here, the kids are breaking up from school soon and I’m digging out my 50’s pin-up swimwear from the back of the wardrobe and worrying about my cellulite…yes, its summer holiday time! You cant help but feel excited as your holiday approaches and here are my top 10 vintage holiday buys to look great this summer, all available on-line now –
1. First things first – a stylish suitcase is key. I have to admit I love a matching set. Vintage sets can look fabulous but make sure they are still sturdy and strong – nothing worse than a busted case at the airport! 1960’s Samsonite ‘Fashionaire’ cases have lasted extremely well and look so retro – all you need is to be boarding a Pan-Am plane! The range in black and white print was re-issued by Samsonite in 2008 so there’s newer versions around but you can pick up originals quite easily too on eBay – look out for hot pink, the original print and tapestry versions.
EBay Samonsite vintage case
- Samsonite reissued fashionaire range with Christina Ricci
2. A girl can’t get in the sun without her sunglasses and these vintage Dior ones are amazing!
Retro Sun vintage Christian Dior sunglasses
3. A vanity case is a great way to travel in style…this blue one with a bright red lining is adorable and a girl can never have too many toiletries with her when traveling :-). It can also doubles as a great carry on piece of luggage instead of a holdall.
Your Vintage Life vanity case
4. Embrace a true vintage look with a vintage fabric parasol – they are a lovely way to keep cool while looking feminine and pretty. These ones made from 1970’s fabric are just lovely and will certainly be a talking point when you are out and about.
Love Miss Daisy vintage flower print parasol
5. A great swimsuit is worth its weight in gold. Vintage style suits are cut for real women’s figures and flatter curves beautifully, or create curves where they need to be. You can find some great vintage ones but swimwear doesn’t wear well so unlike most other vintage in this case I would go for a replica. I love this one from For Luna.