So, the football season has started. You may love football, I however do not – while my vintage home is taken over by various matches, elation, disappointment and general random shouting, this weeks blog is on shopping for some fun distractions from the new season and lets face it, shopping is always good whatever the reason. Oh, and because we are not ‘footballist’ here at YVL if you like the beautiful game then still go shopping but just jump to number 10 for a best buy just for you! All available on-line now.
1. My life is a little *ahem*, disorganised currently so if the rest of the house is watching the match, doing a bit of sorting and clearing is my thing. I’m always on the look out for retro storage and these 1950’s laboratory drawers from Metro Retro ticks all the boxes.
1950s wooden laboratory drawers from Metro Retro
2. Cakes at half time anyone? Its always fun to do some baking, especially if you have a few people doing it with you. Why not take the opportunity to whip up a few yummy cakes that everyone can enjoy. I love this set of Viking scales that would look great out in the kitchen as well as being really practical.
Viking scales from The Nostalgic Kitchen
3. The kids are still off so now is the perfect time to have fun with them. It always amazes me however modern and tech savvy kids are they are still enchanted by some of the vintage games…they really don’t make them like this anymore! How about a games afternoon with Beetle, Tiddlywinks and Lotto?. All together now “HOUSE!!!”
Your Vintage Life Lotto game
4. Grabbing a moment for yourself is a great time to catch up on some reading – there are so many vintage re-issues of some amazing books around at the moment. The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald is a classic – seek out an old copy (there’s some beautiful old covers out there) or pick a reprint up online. This hardback edition is the result of a unique collaboration between Tiffany & Co. and Vintage Classics. It is based on designs in the Tiffany &Co. archives from the twenties when F. Scott Fitzgerald’s talent, beauty and notorious lifestyle made him one of best known writers of the Jazz Age.
The Great Gatsby by Vintage Classics
5. A spot of beautifying is a great pick me up from the annoyances around us. I am a slave to Benefit products as they work fantastically and look the vintage part. Have a bath and then spoil yourself with Bathina “take a picture…it lasts longer” body balm for pure body luxury – you won’t regret it.
Benefit Bathina “take a picture…it lasts longer” body balm
6. I love to have my music on and now days most of it is stored in my trusty iphone. Most stands are very modern looking but I came across these on Etsy by UncommonandNice and think they are just great – they do lots of different versions and will even create a custom version using favourite books if required.
7. I am loving the 1980’s at the moment and adore finding vintage magazines from the era. Catwalk Creative Vintage always hold great ones in stock which are great to use for inspiration, mood boards and just for general reading. You can even use a selection of the glossy adverts in frames for a wall in your home.
Vintage Tatler magazine from Catwalk Creative Vintage
8. Maybe its time for a day out? I have recently discovered the joys of Penshurst Place in Kent – it is the most beautiful location used for filming in shows and films such as Merlin, The Other Boleyn Girl and Henry V. It has a maze, amazing house tour but I like the toy museum the best. Many of the toys are from the collection of Yootha Rose, stage designer, artist and royal toy maker, as well as toys from generations of the Sidney family, including many new ones from the present day owners. Numerous others have been given or lent to Lord De L’Isle for the collection.
9. Its only fair to squeeze in a bit of clothes shopping while the rest of the family are occupied – its always a great distraction. I’m really into cobalt blue at the moment and love this jumpsuit from Lovely’s Vintage –
Jumpsuit from Lovely’s Vintage
Jumpsuit from Lovely’s VintageJumpsuit from Lovely’s Vintage
10. And finally, if you cant beat them join them – a vintage football table is an amazing item, looks cool and will guarantee hours of fun whatever team you follow…
eBay vintage football table via ukjerryuksimon
So whether you are a football fan or a football widow/widower lets have fun this week and roll on May! Tweet us anything great you buy and we’ll share the best with our followers.
Would you like to win this gorgeous hamper, perfect for summer picnics? Inside the vintage wicker hamper is a hand crocheted rug, a 1960s yellow insulated jug, 2 Tupperware style beakers, a 1970s Thermos soup jug, 4 1960s yellow plastic eggcups, 4 1970s yellow melamine bowls and a retro board game. What you have to do:
1.Follow our blog. This can be done by subscribing or by following via BlogLovin (see links on side of page)
2.Also you need to leave a comment to any post throughout the month (you must leave your email address so we can contact you if you win (this isn’t shared with our readers)
3.Share the competition with your friends on Facebook or Twitter.
The winner will be drawn on the 20th August and will be notified that week. Good luck!