Did you know that the Distance Selling Rules have changed? Do you even know that there was such a thing as Distance Selling Rules?
Basically anyone selling items online, whether new or second hand need to abide by these rules so that the buyer can be confident to buy without seeing the item.
Here are the new rules:
- The cooling off period (the time a buyer can change their mind) is now 14 days from the day they received it. They then have a further 14 days to return the item to you. They are allowed to change their mind for any reason and are legally entitled to a refund.
- The seller then has to refund within 14 days once the item has been received
- The seller has to legally refund the original postage at all times. This is an important one that even big businesses seem to ignore. As the customer hasn’t actually seen the item in the flesh and has paid to have it delivered they legally are entitled to their postage back.
- The seller does not have to refund the return postage UNLESS the item is faulty.
- If the seller hasn’t specified that they won’t refund the return postage, they legally have to refund the customer this too. So make sure you have added this into your T’s and C’s to ensure you don’t have to