Do any of your non-vintage loving friends think you are a tad weird for your fascination with all things old? Well I’m sure you think their fascination with bland canvas art from B&Q is equally weird? I bet you they don’t do or even get the following 10 things that only vintage loving people would understand.
(in no particular order)
1. Setting your alarm for silly o’clock on a Sunday morning to trudge through a field, whatever the weather, searching for that one vintage thing you want, have always wanted yet don’t necessarily need. (Car boot season is nearly here guys….get those alarms set!)
2. Having a bath full of soaking dresses which you refuse to get dry cleaned as a) it costs a fortune and b) dry cleaners sometimes ruin your treasured 1950s gown.
3. Have coasters everywhere, or at least nearby, whenever a guest comes over for a cuppa as we all know that a water ring is a nightmare to get out of your 1960s teak.
4. Think mismatched plates on the table is perfectly normal, infact the more the merrier. All colours, all shapes, and hey what’s a little chip here and there between friends?
5. The cupboard or even the drinks cabinet, is full of pretty shot glasses even though a) you cannot drink wine from a shot glass and b) you stopped drinking shots when you were at college.
6. You have a drinks cabinet, or even a bar in the corner of your lounge. Where else would you store your glasses, your bottles of liqueur that you bought from Greece ten years ago and of course all your bits and bobs? (Vintage loving people have a lot of bits and bobs such as drinks stirrers, plastic deer, little forks for olives, soda syphons….the list goes on)
7. Coloured storage or more importantly Tupperware. By this I mean a whole a cupboard full, not just one or two items. Every time you open the cupboard it all falls on your head but hey, when you were at that car boot sale how could you resist that orange plastic cheese grater with storage underneath and a lid that only you know how to put on properly (apart from your nan of course who also swears by the stuff)
8. Your jewellery box is heaving with vintage brooches and clip on earings that you never wear as they hurt your ears. In fact you don’t have a jewellery box per se, it is a large sewing box with little compartments which you can only just close due to all the bling inside.
9. You never, ever walk past a charity shop without having to pop in, which takes time when you are simply popping to the bank. Especially as there are so many charity shops in one road. However, you are experienced in this so can scan the shelves and racks in seconds to establish if there is anything worth looking at. On the same note when you drive past a skip on someones drive you meercat your neck round just to check there’s no treasure lurking inside.
10. You have collections of everything. Maybe you started collecting frogs when you were a child but these new collections are so much more than this. Glasses, brooches, Tupperware, plates…yes but what about the magazines, books, vinyl, tools, toys, dolls, wall art, telephones, saucepans, scarves, bangles, enamelware, jelly moulds, art glass, West German pottery……yes that’s right we are all hoarders, nothing secret about it!
Does this ring true in your life?